Chemical & Bio-chemical Processing Division
Chemical & Bio-Chemical Division (CBP) working on chemical/ biochemical processing, quality control and product development from jute and allied fibres. It has major contributions on pulp and paper; bleaching, dyeing and finishing; particle and fibre board; composites from jute and allied fibres. Nano technology and biomass utilization are also important areas.
- To improve the quality of naturla fibres based products by advanced chemical processing techniques like bleaching, dyeing, printing & finishing.
- To identify & develop diversified products like handmade paper, composites, partile boards, activated carbon and high-end products from natural fibre residues.
- To impart skill development programs on processing of natural fibres and by-products utilisation.
1. Pilot plant for handmade paper and particle board
- Twin digester (capacity: 5 Kg/day)
- Hollander beater (capacity : 5 kg pulp/ day)
- Motorised sheet former (capacity: approx 25 paper sheet / day)
- Tissue paper vat (capacity: approx 25 paper sheet / day)
- Hydraulic hot press for particle board making (size: 4ft*2ft)
- Different types of handmade paper (of different GSM), decorative paper, Kraft paper, tissue paper, particle board of different shapes and design are prepared in pilot plant.
2. Biocomposite laboratory
- Facilities for preparation of composite
- Compression molding (size: 60cm x 60cm)
3. .Hank dyeing facility (capacity- 5 kg yarn/ day)
4. Electrospin system (for preparation of nanofibre/nano-coating/Encapsulation)
5. Paper mo
ulded products for cutlery items
6. Testing facilities for pulp & paper, Particle board, Composite, Fabric sample
- Xenotest : to measure light fastness or weather fastness of the fabric & yarn sample.
- Instron : to measure tensile and flexural properties of the particle board and composite sample.
- Impact strength tester: to measure impact strength of particle board and composite sample.
- Tensile strength tester, Bursting strength tester, Folding strength tester & tear strength tester; are used to measure different physical properties of paper sample.
7. Muffle furnace with nitrogen gas for activated carbon
8. Microcrystalline cellulose production
- Natural pigment dyed textile products
- Handmade decorative paper and products
- Tissue paper
- Natural pulp based sanitary napkin
- Particle boards
- Biocomposite and moulded products
- Banana sap
- Aroma finished home textile products
- Activated carbon from jute stick
- Microcrystalline cellulose for pharmaceutical uses
- Development of fire retardant and termite proof particle board from whole jute plant
- Sustainable innovative bleaching of lignocellulosic fibres and its effect on dyeing behaviour
- Jute based active packaging systems for use in agro-commodities
- Development of value-added products from banana plant waste
- Development of high value apparel/ home textiles by jute, ramie and protein fibres blending
- Application of natural fibres and its biomass in building materials (CRP on natural fibres, ICAR)
HoD (Acting) C& BP Division: Dr. S.N. Chattopadhyay, Principal Scientist